In plain English:
You assume all risk from using our gear. All gear is for personal use. If you don’t know how to use our gear, don’t use our gear until you know how to. Let us know ASAP if there’s a problem with our gear. Only return gear during our posted hours. Make sure your gear is clean when you return it, otherwise we’ll charge you. If the gear is returned late, we’ll charge you twice the rental fee for each week it’s late. If the gear is lost, stolen, or damaged, we’ll charge you up to the full value of the gear. For any unpaid fines or if you ghost us, we’ll send your name to Student Conduct. 😘
The Brown Outing Club (BOC) owns equipment and gear that is available for the use and benefit of the Brown community. In consideration for the benefits received, the Brown community member renting gear (hereafter referred to as “User”) assumes all risk for any damages or injuries that may be sustained to either person or property while using BOC equipment. BOC equipment may be used solely in accordance with the following conditions:
1. BOC equipment is for personal use by Users – not for rent or lease to third parties.
2. BOC equipment is issued “as is,” and any User may reject or refuse to use BOC equipment.
3. Each User who borrows and uses BOC equipment is assumed to have the knowledge and training to verify that the equipment is in working order prior to a trip, event or other BOC activity (collectively, “Activity”), and to use the equipment in a safe manner. If a User is unfamiliar with the proper use of the equipment, the User should not borrow equipment until they acquire proper training and information about use of the equipment.
4. While the BOC will strive to keep equipment in reasonably usable condition, each User who borrows BOC equipment assumes the risks of using equipment that may have been used repeatedly and extensively by other Users who may have damaged the equipment during previous use or may not have reported problems with the equipment. Each User is expected to familiarize themselves with the specific equipment being borrowed and to test the equipment before use. BOC MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONSTRUCTION, CONDITION, FITNESS, OR ADEQUACY OF THE BOC EQUIPMENT FOR ANY TYPE OF USE OR IN ANY PARTICULAR ACTIVITY.
5. Users are expected to report promptly to the BOC Gear Room Managers any problems relating to the condition or usability of BOC equipment.
6. Users may return equipment to the BOC only at the posted times, unless prior arrangements are made with the BOC Gear Room Managers (for unusual circumstances only).
7. Users are expected to return all equipment clean and in usable condition. Tents, packs, sleeping bags, etc. should be brushed and/or sponged clean and dry, but never laundered. Stoves should be free from all food and food traces; and pots, pans and utensils should be scrubbed clean. Equipment that is returned dirty will be subject to a cleaning fee of $10 per item. Clothing must be laundered, or the User who borrowed it will be fined a laundering fee at the rate determined by Brown Student Agencies.
8. Each piece of BOC equipment carries a “Total Value,” roughly equal to the full retail value of the equipment, which is determined by the BOC Gear Room Managers. By renting gear, the User agrees to pay up to the Total Value with cash or check if the gear is lost, stolen, or damaged beyond the usual wear-and-tear.
9. Users will be assessed a fine equal to twice the gear rental fee for each week, up to four weeks after the due date, the equipment is not returned.
10. Equipment that is kept by a User for more than 30 days after the due date, without the prior agreement of the BOC Gear Room Managers, will be assumed to be lost or stolen. At that time, Users will be fined the full Total Value.
11. For any unpaid fines, the User understands that they will be subject to an investigation by the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards (“Student Conduct”) which may result in the fine posted to the User’s Student Account and other disciplinary actions at the recommendation of Student Conduct.